HomeWorx by Harry Slatkin Espresso Chocolate Truffle Candle Review

Oh yes I did!  I snapped this set UP as soon as it was available for purchase.  Not only that, I picked up two sets.  What's that you ask?  Why did my brain ooze out of my ear and cause me to spend over $100.00 on six candles?  Um... because it's HomeWorx and because the scents sounded seriously yummy.

Who doesn't love the smell of espresso and chocolate?

This candle is one of three in the new, just released on October 20th, Truffle candles.

If it is a secret, it shouldn't be, but your humble reviewer has a serious thing for candles that smell like chocolate.  Or cinnamon.  Or pumpkin.  Oh heck, I love anything that smells like sweet treats.  It's my olfactory weakness.

I am going to be reviewing each individual candle here on the site but I am also going to be doing a YouTube video review that will combine all three of them down into one, what hopefully ends up being, less than a 20 minute video.  I will post the review on this page once it is completed.

This one of the trio is named Espresso Chocolate Truffle.  It is an 18 ounce candle with a burn time of 30 - 55 hours.  Four wicks.  Metal painted lid and very heavy, thick glass container.

I love the weight of these candles in my hand because they feels substantial.  Not at all like you could crack the glass by simply giving it a dirty look.  HomeWorx glass candle containers are beautiful and always look quite rich to me.  The thickness of the glass in the base makes them nice and stable which is important when you are lighting something on fire.  These candles are heavy enough that they won't slide around on you.

The plaid label design wrapping around the glass is in earthy shades of brown and is well done.  It is just transparent enough to show off the glow and create a lovely ambiance when the candle is burning.  The colors definitely fit well with the scent.  The brown wax is a nice touch to the overall look of the candle.  Aesthetically it is well done and there is no ugly to hide with this one.  

The scent profile is described as ground espresso, milk chocolate,  whipped vanilla and creamy coconut.  On cold smell, my brain registered the chocolate right away with just a hint of the vanilla.  The espresso made a soft appearance in the background, but I didn't catch the coconut at all.  That's OK though because a candle's scent profile can change once the heat of the flames hit it.

So... I decided to choose a location and light it up!

In this house, the hallway is always a good place to burn a candle to determine how good the throw is and what scent is being given off at different distances from the candle.  Without giving too much away too early, this one performed quite well.

Since HOW a candle burns is also important, I have posted my usual burn video below that takes you from the moment that the candle is lit to the 2 hour mark.  Spoiler alert... this candle burns beautifully.



I can tell you that even as I am writing my first draft of this review, the candle is still burning and it smells amazing.  I find myself tipping my nose up into the air every so often to grab a deep sniff of that beautiful scent.

What does it smell like?  It smells like dessert.  Heaven.  Happiness.  When the wax is heated by the flames the scent changed a bit for me.  The chocolate is still the deepest contributor but the vanilla comes forward just a bit more and the coconut shows up in the shadows like an after taste.  The espresso jumped into the back seat to doze in the warmth but ever so often opened it's eyes and smiled at me.  It's the type of smell that will make your stomach growl because you want to either eat the candle or make a run to Starbucks for a chocolate latte. 

Within the first hour of it being lit, the scent from this candle had traveled all the way down to the other end of the hall into the bathroom and into the living room.  The basement stairwell is just a few feet away from where this Chocolate Espresso Truffle candle is burning and the scent has traveled about halfway DOWN the stairs.  Scent traveling downward?  That's unusual as far as I know and is a sure sign of a candle with a great throw.  In a nutshell, this candle has a throw about as powerful as a major league pitcher.  I like it. 

Espresso Chocolate Truffle came to a full pool within 2 hours of burning and the scent throughout the house was perfect.  It was there but not overpowering.  You couldn't miss the scent throw unless you were suffering from a cold, flu or allergies and your nose was locked up like Ft. Knox... but the smell wasn't loud and obnoxious either.  It's just the life of the party.

There are four wicks in this candle.  My initial thought when I saw them was that they looked substantial and healthy.  They stayed in place during the burn.  They did look a bit sleepy after the flames were extinguished but I'm not real concerned about it because I may have blew a bit too hard to put the candle out.  They are swayed in that direction.  After the burn, they did mushroom a bit but to me, that's not really a big deal.  I'll just remove the shrooms before I light it again.

Final Thoughts and Will I Buy it Again?

I absolutely will buy the set again.  I haven't burned the other two yet but I will tomorrow to get my initial impression of them.  Then, I can bet you a dollar that I will be heading back over to the QVC website to grab a third set of these just based on this candle alone.

You should take that bet because it would be an easy dollar for you.

If I had to describe the scent on this candle in one word, it would be YUM.  I simply love everything about it.

The throw is great.  This candle has a lot of UMPH behind the throw but at the same time, it's not an overpowering scent.  You won't have it stuck in your nose for three days after the candle is extinguished or burned out.

Price point wise, I think it's good.  I've spent the same amount for a single candle that ended up smelling like a big ol' pile of hot dirty mulch that burned the inside of my nose out so it's nice to discover that you spent a bit of money on a candle that delivers, and there's still two more in this set to burn.  If the quality of this one is a prelude of the other two, your reviewer is going to be an extremely happy camper. 


If anything changes with my thoughts, I'll be sure to return to this post, or write another one to update on it.

Did you purchase this trio of sugary scents or are you planning on it?  Let me know your thoughts on Espresso Chocolate Truffle in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment