Bath and Body Works Fall and Winter 2018 Candle Review- Frosted Cranberry

When I hear the name of this candle, my brain automatically thinks of the slightly tangy and sweet flavor of fresh cranberries that have been kissed to perfection and crispness by the chill of snow.  I love cranberry chutney in the fall so I was quite happy to see this scent in the line up for Bath & Body Works fall candles.

I currently have 2 of these candles in my stash.  The first one is a little over half burned so I thought it was time to do a review on it.

Now, I do have to forewarn you that when you see the burn video on this candle you will notice something odd about the rim.  Yes, it is broken but it does not have any effect on the candle itself and the lid still fits.

They need to step up their packing game!
I really like the label on this candle.  It is a wrap around sleeve on the clear glass container that features cranberries laying in snow.  The candle name is in a slightly whimsical font with no capital letters on a back ground that I'm guessing is supposed to look like a farmhouse wood sign.

I purchased these candles from the Bath & Body Works website and paid $10.95 each for them.  I do have to say that their packaging for shipping leaves a lot to be desired and it's a bit unnerving to open a box of candles and see what I have experienced more than once with ordering online from this company.  If HomeWorx, Yankee Candle and other companies can carefully package their candles for shipment, I do not understand why Bath & Body Works can't get it right.

This is what my last online candle purchase looked like when it arrived.  I'm not sure if I'll purchase candles online from them anymore because of their incompetence with a task so simple as packaging for safe shipping.  Sorry if that sounds snarky but packaging and shipping merchandise is not a new thing and a company as large as Bath & Body Works should know better, I think they just don't care about turning it into a issue for their customers.

Anyway...


Luckily there was no real damage to the candles.

But, as always the more important things about this candle are what it smells like, how does it burn and how does it perform?  So let's get into the review on the Bath & Body Works Frosted Cranberry three wick candle.

The scent notes on the label and on the website had me a bit perplexed with this one.  The name of the candle is Frosted Cranberry but the top notes are listed as being cedarwood and orange.  The undertone is iced cranberry.  Hmmmm... if you are going to title the candle Frosted Cranberry then to me the cranberry should be one of the top scents.  I wasn't sure what to think about that and I didn't catch it until reading the scent notes again to write this review.  Live and learn!



Removing the lid for the cold smell still revealed a beautiful scent.  The main thing that I picked up was the orange.  The finish was a snappy cranberry.  The cedarwood is MIA for me on this one with the cold sniff which I thought was odd since it is the first scent that is mentioned in the description.  Again, like the Toasted Vanilla Chai that I reviewed earlier, this one isn't "in your face."  On cold smelling it is not a terrifyingly overpowering scent that makes you worry if you will be able to smell anything for three days after burning the candle in your home.

So how did this candle perform?

I love the way the label glows when the candle is lit.
Day 1: I lit this candle by itself in my office.  It was easy to get the wicks to light and it burned consistently for 3 hours.  It sat on a shelf about 5 feet away from where I work on my computer.  Throughout the time that it was burning, I never really noticed the scent.  I got out of my chair a few times and went to the candle to sniff around it to see if I could pick anything up.  The candle was throwing a very small amount of scent but you had to be less than 2 feet away to even slightly pick it up.

Day 2: I moved the candle into the bathroom because it's the smallest room in the house.  My thought was maybe this just isn't a candle that can handle a full size room.  I let it burn for 4 hours.  Whenever I visited that room, I didn't have to hover over the candle to smell the orange and cranberry.  It was there, in the air but so faint.  Like someone whispering to you from across the room.  You know that they are saying something and you can hear their words a tiny bit but it just doesn't make sense.

To me, the lack of scent in this candle just doesn't make sense either.

About 20 minutes in, the pool is forming nicely.
Today I decided to burn the candle on the bookcase in the hallway and am now going on ambiance alone because the scent just isn't there.  *sigh*  I hate it when a candle smells amazing cold but just doesn't deliver in scent after it is lit.

One of the positive things about this candle is that it does pool nicely.  Within 15 minutes of lighting, if you look at it you will see three nice size round pools have formed.  In about an hour, the candle is in full pool mode and at that point you should be at maximum scent throw.  But I digress with this one because even today, the scent just isn't there.

Final Thoughts

Oh this candle was such a disappointment and I had such high hopes for it after the cold smell because it smelled so delicious and so reminds me of winter.  I really think they could have done much better with this one.  The scent throw simply is not there.  At all.  And that's a big disappointment.

I do LOVE the way the label glows when the candle is lit.  That is the one saving grace with this candle for me.  Since I usually burn mixture of scents, having a candle with a beautiful glow but no scent is not a tragedy for me because it just adds an extra candle glow to combinations that I love, without interfering with the scent combination that I have going.  So... there's that positive note.

Oh, and the wicks are NICE on this one.  Not one mushrooming, they are easy to light and they don't drift around.  It has very strong wicks.




Will I Buy it Again?

Well... that's kind of a trick question with this one.  Will I pay full price for it?  Absolutely not.  But, if it is ever featured in a special or I need to add another candle to the cart, I MIGHT if none of my favorites are available.  It's possible but not really all that probable.

Do you have this candle in your collection?  If you do, let us know your experience with it in the comments below.  If you don't, are you planning on buying it soon?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment