Homeworx by Harry Slatkin Candy Cane Martini Cocktail Candle Review

It would appear that I'm on a Homeworx kick at the moment but the Martini candles were recently released so I thought it would be a good idea to bump them up to the front of the review line here on the website.  The YouTube review will be out sometime in the next week or two because there are a couple of other candles that I want to film first.

Today we are going to be talking about Candy Cane Martini.  This is a four wick candle that was released by Homeworx, I think the first week of November.  I of course ordered one set of each of the scents from QVC as soon as they were available.  I paid $39.90 plus $5.47 shipping for each set which means for each candle I paid $22.69.  In my opinion, that's a bit steep for a candle so I'm hoping that these really perform nicely but we shall see.

One thing that I mentioned in my YouTube review of the Truffle Candles is that in my opinion, reading the notes before experiencing the candle can have an effect on what you smell.  I still stand by that and probably always will.  Why?  Because the majority of people that buy candles want to know three things when it is all said and done.  What the candle really smells like, how well it burns and how much scent it puts into the air once it is lit.

When I look at the scent notes that are listed for this candle, I'm told that the scent profile consists of:
  • Sweet Peppermint
  • Frozen Vanilla
  • Vanilla Orchid
Have you ever smelled frozen vanilla to know what frozen vanilla actually smells like?  I haven't.  This is one of my peeves with scent notes.  If it's something as off the wall and not very common, like frozen vanilla, what does that even smell like?  Vanilla orchid is the plant that vanilla extract is made from so we all know what that actually smells like.  Sweet peppermint is a bit self explanatory because it's really common.

So, in a nutshell, after you break it down, the scent profile of this candle is peppermint and vanilla.  That's it.  Peppermint and vanilla.

On cold smell I was definitely worried about the amount of scent that this candle would release.  The peppermint and vanilla scent is there before the candle is lit but it's not very loud at all.  I had to root my nose in to where it almost touched the wax in order to catch the scent.  Cold smells can be completely off after you light it and I'm glad that this one is proof of that.

Let's skip over to the packaging for a second because I LOVE the container that this candle is in.  It is the signature Homeworx very substantial, very thick and very heavy glass.  This particular candle has a clear background with cute red polka dots.  With the clear background it will be very easy to see the candle burning down inside and that's 100% ambiance which I personally like.

One cute touch with the red polka dots is that they aren't your regular run of the mill stickers just to decorate a candle container.  When you look at them from the outside of the container they are a glittery, almost holographic red.  When you look at them from the inside of the container as the candle burns down the circles aren't red.  They are a really pretty and sparkling silver that glimmers and somewhat reflects the candle light.  I don't know if that was accidental or on purpose but it definitely works.

The lids are a beautiful silver toned metal.  The only negative that I can say about the lids on Candy Cane Martini is that they are so shiny that they will fingerprint and smudge up easily.  They are edged with a really nice brushed silver that is light reflecting and sparkles quite nicely.  A nice finishing touch to an otherwise classic signature Homeworx lid.

Now on to the more important parts of the review.  Setting the candle on fire!

I decided to burn this one in the hallway but a different area than I did the Truffle Candles.  This time I burned on the bookcase that is in dead center of the house.  I did this hoping that even though the cold smell was a faint whisper of the peppermint smell that once it was burning, it would scream its presence thought out the house.

If you watch the burn video and then eventually the YouTube review that is on this candle, you'll see just how well this candle actually burns.

The wicks on this one have quite a bit of thickness to them so when first lighting each one, it took a few seconds for them to catch.  The wicks are nice and strong in this one and don't move around in the melted wax but they do mushroom and they mushroom pretty large.

Five minutes into the burn I was still a bit concerned about the throw.  Couldn't smell anything yet but the wax was melting nicely.

Fast forward about 30 minutes and that was the start of the magic moment.  An hour in and we had a full blown invisible peppermint vanilla scent draping its way throughout the house.  It spread through the hallway, into the bedroom, bathroom and in the opposite direction made its way into the office and kitchen to hang out for a while.  My worries about the scent traveling were no longer necessary because this candle delivers and it delivers nicely.

Will I Purchase this Candle Again?

This one is a definite YES for me.  I love the peppermint vanilla smell that this candle gives off while burning and it gives off a LOT.  Yes, they are a bit pricey but for the amount of throw with this one I think it is worth it.  The peppermint and vanilla scent is very sugary and sweet but not sickening sweet.  It is a great holiday candle that has the ability to completely scent large areas with it's goodness. 

And finally, I leave you with the burn video.  You'll be able to see exactly how smooth and well this candle burns and the ambiance that it gives off.  The only thing that could make it any better here is if the internet had scratch n' sniff. 




 
Until next time my friends...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment