Yankee Candle Blue Twilight Storm Candle Review

Blue Twilight Storm has been available on the Yankee Candle website at a price point of $10 with any purchase for a while now.  I have to say that since I'm lazy, I do the majority of my candle purchases online so if I'm ordering a new scent that I'm not familiar with, it can either be described as "it's like Christmas" or "I'm playing Russian Roulette."

I have to admit that I've heard a few other people's opinions on this candle and it is VERY mixed.  This one seems to be one that people either love it or hate it with no in between.  The review score on Yankee's website currently sits at 3.1 stars which isn't great but not terrible either.  These mixed reviews and love it or hate it could be the reason why it has been on special for so long?  I don't know for sure so that's just my two cents on it.

First let's talk about that label and jar.  This is not a negative, it's just an observation and opinion but I've never really been crazy about Yankee Candle's labels.  With the exception of Witches Brew, over the years they have always seemed to scream 1980 to me.  they may have changed the labels but to me, they didn't go hard enough.  While it does bring a sense of nostalgia, sometimes that classic jar shape combined with some of those labels just looks hokey to me.  This one doesn't though.

If that label print was available as a piece of artwork, I'd buy it.  As an painter, I can appreciate the esthetic of that label.  The way the sky is colored with those red, blue and orange hues coming through the clouds... as they really can look right as a storm is rolling in combined with the pumpkins laying in a vast, wide open patch waiting to be collected, this label is very well done.  Gazing at the label can definitely take you there.

I'm not going to go too deep into the large jar candles glass jar shapes because... yeah... hello 1980.

Cold smell on this candle had me a bit worried.  The notes on this candle are listed as a cologne like mix of:
  • black sesame
  • patchouli
  • balsam
I've said it a few times before and maybe eventually I'll stop repeating myself in every review but my opinion on notes is that I think they can create a placebo effect in the brain.  Read the notes and sniff the candle and it will smell differently than it would if you just sniff the candle.

The cold smell isn't very strong on this candle but it does have what I can only describe as a bit of a nose bite to it.  It's a very sharp, very cologne scent that has the after flavor of piney balsam.

Here's where my confusion comes in.  I do not understand why this candle is named Blue Twilight Storm because the scent has absolutely nothing to do with a storm.  If I were to name this candle based on the scent, it would have been named something along the line of "bad boy leather jacket left on the floor."  Cold sniff for me was a mix of leather, stale smoke and that darn balsam.  Nothing about it said evening storm to me.  It's like they had a really cool label and name and needed a candle to stick it on and here we are.

So let's light it up and see what happens with it because cold smell and hot flame smell can be completely different in not just Yankee candles but any other candle brand out there.

First, the wick.  This is a one wick candle so in order to burn well, the wick has to perform well.  At first glance before lighting, the wick on this candle looks great.  It appears to have a nice thickness to it that will handle the job of warming up the wax for what will hopefully be a good if not great scented candle experience.

By the way, the wick did mushroom, but only a little bit after being burned.

This one ended up requiring a three hour burn time vs. my normal two hours for review.  I just finished filming the two hour mark of the burn video, and as you'll see in the burn video below, it hadn't completely pooled at the two hour mark.  There was still about 1/4" of unmelted wax around the edge so I decided to let it go longer so there's no chance of it deciding to tunnel on the second burn.  That would really suck.

I placed this candle on the bookcase that is in the hallway in the center of the house.  I think that has become my new favorite place to burn candles for these reviews because if the scent throw is strong, my entire house will easily fill with the scent.

At the two hour mark, this one is being a bit disappointing on the scent traveling through the house.  In fact, it isn't.  Right now I can smell the candle here and there if I'm within five feet of it but that's as far as it is going and that's quite disappointing.

The scent also does change after the candle is lit.  It seems more smooth or fluffy now than sharp.  I still get the balsam but it has come more to the front.  The patchouli and leather are still there but there's surprisingly something new in the mix for me with this one that I didn't expect.  Roses.  To me, when this candle is burning it has the slight hint of rose to it that falls somewhere in the middle.  It's an intriguing, very pleasing combination scent.  I just really wish there was more of it.

After the three hour burn mark, we weren't looking at much of an improvement in the amount of scent in the air or wax pooling.  *sigh*  I have a feeling that this candle is going to be destined to tunnel but we'll see when we light it again for the YouTube review.

The Burn Video


 

Final Thoughts and Will I Buy it Again?

I love the label and the scent on this candle even though, and this is just my opinion of course, I don't think they match well at all.

The scent is so nice on this candle but unfortunately it is so weak that you have to be within 5 feet of it to even occasionally catch a glimpse of it. 

Now I am more of a bakery scent lady than a floral or woody scent but every once in a while I have stepped out of my comfort zone with candle scents and been quite surprised.  I absolutely LOVE Midsummer Night and have since the first time I smelled it shortly after it was released years ago.  Blue Twilight Storm isn't THAT good but I'd say it's not hideous either.  I have no idea if constantly having Blue Twilight Storm scent in the air would make me sneeze or give me a headache because unfortunately the candle is so weak in the scent throw department that I'll have to chalk it up as a mystery that will never be solved for me.

For me, buying this one again would be a no.  I'm not irritated that I spent $10 on it because I knew when I purchased it that I was... in this case... playing a game of Russian Roulette.  Unfortunately it just isn't going to be staying on my radar to purchase again and it will probably go back onto the shelf in the closet to be burned again at some point in my lifetime.  Just not now.

If by chance you think this candle is up your scent and performance alley, you can get it on Amazon here or directly from Yankee Candle here.  By the way, if you purchase from Yankee on a regular basis, you might consider joining their fan club.  For every 10,000 points (equivalent of $100.00) that you spend, you'll receive a $5 Yankee Candle gift card.  I know it doesn't sound like a lot but if you are spending the money anyway, you might as well get something back in return.

Do you have this candle in your collection?  If so, what are your thoughts on it?  Let us know in the comments here on in the comments of the YouTube review once it goes live on my channel.

1 comment:

  1. I really love this candle. I love woody/earthy scents. I purchased three blue twilight storm a few years ago,when yankee candle had them available. It is not on their site at the moment,but look forward to seeing it again in the future.

    ReplyDelete