Bath and Body Works Three Wick Aromatherapy Vanilla and Patchouli "Comfort" Candle Review

Is aromatherapy a real thing?  I'm not 100% sure.  What I do know is that for me, a scent can assist me in calming down, sleeping better and just plain ol' relaxing.

Today we are going to take a look at one of the candles in the Bath & Body Works Aromatherapy line.  Specifically the one called "Comfort" which is a blend of vanilla and patchouli.

This one has been in my stash for a while and honestly, I kinda ignored it for a hot minute.  I purchased it on a whim with a few other candles from the aromatherapy line and just put them in the candle closet thinking that one of these days I'll get around to burning it when I'm in the mood for it.

Well... fast forward to a couple of months later and I asked Cory what he was in the mood for in a candle for that afternoon.  He told me to grab something relaxing.  I was a little confused by his answer because I wasn't sure what his definition of something that smells relaxing was.

When I looked at the stacks of Bath and Body Works candles, I noticed the aromatherapy line just sitting there so I pulled a couple of them out and stuck them under his nose to see which one he would choose.  He liked this one and told me that it was right up the alley of what he was in the mood for.

The label on this candle is a bit plain but interesting.  There is a mortar and pestle along with a botanical right above it that gives the impression of a hand crafted item.  The gold lettering matches the mauve color nicely and the candle name in a hand written font is a nice touch.  It almost has the appearance of a hand made candle that you would purchase from an artisan on Etsy, but we all know that these candles are far from handmade or hand poured.  The packaging on this candle really is cute and whimsical.

The lid is black metal and fits the label design nicely.  It also has a large mortar and pestle on it embossed on the top.

I apologize for the cruddy photo of the lid but sometimes these candle lids are really hard to get a good photograph of for different reasons.  This one wanted to throw off a really annoying glare.

The inside of the lid has the usual plastic ring that I always guess is to keep the scent in and keep the candle from drying out when you aren't using it.

On cold smell, the candle has a very powdery smell.  The powder texture hit my nose immediately followed by a complete mix of vanilla and patchouli, but it isn't a true patchouli.  It's like a patchouli tribute.  A watered down version of this very old scent that has been around forever, usually released by burning it in incense or used to perfume the body in essential oil form.

Now a really interesting and fun fact for you today about patchouli is that it is a scent that can be used quite successfully to cover the scent of marijuana smoke.  This is one of the reasons why so many people associate this historical Indian scent with hippies.  They did and still do like their patchouli but it seems that here recently with the comeback of this scent that they are going to have to start sharing it with the rest of us.  I just wish that it was a true patchouli scent and not the after thought of it in this candle.

I know that it is possible to get a true patchouli scent in candles because Renovation Candle Company accomplished it with their large 2 wick vanilla and patchouli candle.  If you love true patchouli, you would like that candle.

We have pratically covered the listed scent notes on this candle without even having to read the listed scent notes.  They are plain and simple.  Vanilla and patchouli.

The first through fourth times that I burned this candle, I didn't do it with the intention of doing a review on it so the burn video is a bit different on this one.  It is a burn video done with the fifth time that this candle has been burned.  The photos are of the second candle that I recently purchased, but I'm refusing to burn it until the first one is completely gone.  Hopefully that isn't too confusing.

This candle was burned for various amounts of time over a couple day period.  The first burn was for about four hours with subsequent burns going from a quick one hour to around three.  Each time this candle reached the full pool in about an hour.

The wicks are nice, but not as thick as the Garden Greenery candle that I recently reviewed.  The thinner wicks held up OK and there have been no surprises that seem to be becoming common with Bath and Body Works candles of them taking it upon themselves to extinguish whenever the whim hits them to do so.  The wicks will mushroom so don't forget to remove them or the wax will get speckled like it is in my burn video because... I forgot.

Scent wise when burning, it has a nice smell in my opinion.  The powdery texture does stay when the candle burns so if you are sensitive to powdery scents, you won't like this one at all.  The powdery scent can, on occasion, be quite overpowering.

The main scent is a nice, creamy vanilla followed by the watered down patchouli.  When I say watered down, the bite that patchouli usually has in the nose is missing here.  It has enough of the scent that you can identify it but it's missing that final snap.

It does oddly enough have the essence of a warm hug.  I know it sounds really odd for me to say that but to me, it does.  I think it's the powdery texture that creates that feeling because when you are in the room it is almost like the powder laden scent clings to you.  It is weird but seriously, it's huggy which in turn is comforting if it doesn't creep you out.

The scent release on this candle will fill a room in about 30ish minutes from the time that you light it.  It gradually gets louder as the candle finishes getting to full pool.  The throw is strong with this one.  You will definitely notice it when you walk into the room that the candle is burning in.  It's like walking through a barrier from unscented air into scented air.  Yes, it's that quick.  For some people, this candle may be a bit too much if burned in a room that only has a door entrance with no air movement.



I would definitely NOT recommend this candle for a room as small as a bathroom or a small bedroom.  In my opinion and experience with this candle, it is way too much for a small room.

This candle was burned once for three hours on the coveted bookcase in the hallway and the scent release wasn't as thick as it was in the enclosed room.  It was there and still noticeable, but definitely not as heavy.

Considering how much scent was released into the room that we burned this one in would tell me that this one more than likely would perform well in an open concept area as long as the ceilings aren't ridiculously high.  It is a strong one with a lot of scent release.  I had to extinguish it a couple of times because it was just becoming too much for me.  Not headache too much but too much powder textured scent that felt like it was making the air in the room quite thick at times.

My Final Thoughts and Will I Buy This Candle Again?

Even though I had to put it out a couple of times and the patchouli is a watered down version, I do like this candle.  The vanilla scent is warm and well done in this one and compliments this candle nicely.

If I burn it in a larger room, like the living room, there is enough space to not crowd the scent release.  This is one of the strongest scented Bath and Body Works candles that I have burned so far and I just simply can not dislike a candle because it has too much scent.  That's crazy.  "It performed so well that I hate it."  NO.  Granted it surprisingly doesn't travel from room to room so this will not scent an entire house but it will throw some serious smells into the room that it is burning in.

I did buy this one again already.  The second one is the one that was used for the pre burn photos in this review.  I like it even if it is a bit loud and obnoxious sometimes.  One thing to remember though, I don't think Bath and Body Works candles are worth their regular $24.50 price tags, ever.  If you like loud and powder then forking out the cash for this candle on sale WITH a coupon wouldn't be a bad decision, unless it is at their new "sale" price of $14.50.  It's really not worth it there either.  It's a nice candle but just not $14.50 or $24.50 nice.

If you want to see more about this candle, you can check it out on the Bath and Body Works Website here.

Do you have this candle in your collection?  If so, what do you think about it?  Let us know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment